Wow, time flies when you're having fun! As 2017 comes to an end, we at Arêt Basewear have been reflecting back on how magical this first year has been.
From our very first launch party to being featured in Outside magazine, this year was full of new faces, exciting opportunities, and fun adventures. As a show of gratitude to our customers, ambassadors, and business partners, we wanted to share some of our 2017 highlights!
The TOURA is Born.
🕙 Let’s rewind back to 2016: Olivia and Bridget spent countless hours cutting and sewing to perfect the original TOURA design. At the dawn of 2017, our vision was fully realized as the handmade TOURA prototype was sent to production to become a technical under-layer for the outdoors. We can’t help but smile when we look back and remember the early days of taking measurements, sewing straps, and sipping beers.
With the help of local businesses and organizations, we hosted and attended a few events.
- Vertical Hold’s White Christmas Vendor Market 2016
- Tealights & Wine Trunk Sale at Grotto Climbing & Yoga
- Climber's Market at Mesa Rim
- Summer Fever: Austin Trunk Sale at Crux Climbing Center
- Sierra Mountain Center & Arêt Present: Women's Trad Clinic
- 2017 Flash Foxy Women's Climbing Festival
- No Man’s Land Film Festival
We made friends with some pretty amazing outdoorswomen.
The amount of support Arêt has received from women in the outdoor community has been tremendous. Below is just a sample of the wonderful outdoorswomen who have helped us along our journey.
📐 Based on customer feedback, we refined the TOURA #basewear top design.
There’s always room to improve. We continued to take customer feedback throughout the year and translate it into improvements to the TOURA design on our quest for the perfect fit. We got started on a few new designs too!
- Altered the High Cut design to provide better support for cup sizes C – DD
- Switched to a thicker bottom band for the High Cut design to prevent flipping
- Slightly altered the TOURA Low Cut design to prevent the dreaded nip-slip
- Researched sustainable fabrics for the upcoming FURA line
- Developed handmade prototypes for the TOURA Short
People had some pretty nice things to say about us.
🗯️ "I was tingling with excitement when my Arêt Basewear TOURA top arrived in the mail. Don’t judge me, but I haven’t worn anything else since its arrival." - Kathy Karlo
🗯️ "Typically, upon returning home from climbing, I find myself wanting to rip off my bra off as soon as I get home in the evening, but the TOURA is so comfortable that I often leave it on through dinner." - Julie Parker
🗯️ "Finally, if none of this can convince you to throw all your money at these ladies instead of LuluLemon, they also use real women as models [...] with the goal of sending a positive message to the women in the climbing community: one that embraces diversity, strength, and empowerment." - Alma Baste
We made a 📽️ film about the story of Arêt!
We were elated when videographer Adam McCain offered to create a video about Arêt’s story. We organized four film shoots and had an absolute blast in the process. With a group of some wonderful outdoor women, our talented photographer Keenan Herbon, and his lovely family ventured out to the seas, mountains, and desert to capture the magic of Arêt on film.
All photos above were taken by the talented photographer Keenan Herbon of Pull Down Photo.
We partnered up with some likeminded organizations in the outdoor community.
Arêt was lucky enough to work with some pretty amazing companies and brands in the outdoor community. These likeminded groups share our vision of expanding opportunity for women in the outdoors.
- We paired up with WYLDER Goods to bring our basewear tops to their online Marketplace
- The TOURA was featured in Outside Magazine's 2017 Holiday Gift Guide
- We teamed out with Outdoor Women's Grassroots Program to offer discounts to OWA Members
We love making new friends. Want to be on this list in 2018? Contact us to get the conversation started.
This year was full of outdoor adventures.
We worked pretty darn hard this year, but as soon as free time comes up we don our #basewear and hit the road in search of new adventures and outdoor spaces!
🎶 Headed outdoors this weekend? Download our Spotify 2018 Arêt Road Trip Mix for the drive out.
From the soulful songs of SZA to the electric riffs of Metallica we've got something for everyone on our favorite songs of the past year. So grab your gear, plug in your auxiliary and hit the road with our 2018 Arêt Road Trip Mix.Get the Playlist
Psst.. here’s a sneak peek at what we have planned for 2018!
- TOURA Short - The perfect shorts to pair with your TOURA Top
- #readysetaret - A new challenge each month in 2018. Stay tuned
- Flash Foxy & Hueco Rock Rodeo are booked for 2018 - We'll see you there
💙 We know our #basewear and brand are only as great as our customer’s feedback. Get in touch, or comment below to tell us what you would like to see in 2018!
Welcome to the Journal: official blog of Tera Kaia Basewear.
Here we tell stories about the outdoors, sustainability, and life through the lens of outdoor women. Get the latest on TK events, and a "behind the seams" look at everything that's going on with our brand.